Replacement Windows: Which Window Is Right For You? Vinyl, Wood or Composite?
– Are your windows old and drafty? Do they let in the cold air in the winter and hot air in the summer?
– Are you trying to save some money on your energy bills?
– Are you tired of hearing everything that is going on outside?
Replacement windows might not be the sexiest home improvement investment project but doing so can yield a variety of benefits, from lowered utility bills to better soundproofing and greater curb appeal.
In fact, replacing your windows with new, energy efficient versions can help lower your energy bill by as much as 30% each month, while making your home feel more comfortable year round. Add in the fact that new windows can help give your home an attractive new look, and you’ll be hard pressed to find an investment you could be making in your home that pays off as much as new windows do.
Replacement Windows- Why You Should Install New Windows:
Did you know that the Department of Energy has estimated that things like uninsulated glass or poorly fitting frames could mean that you’re losing as much as 30% of the energy you use to heat and cool your home.
Did you also know that studies have found that doing something to improve the energy efficiency of your home – such as replacement windows – will save you $7 for every $1 you spend over the lifetime of the improvement. That means that your new windows will not only pay for themselves, they’ll continue to bring savings for years to come.
Add in the fact that energy efficient windows will stop those drafts, making your home feel more comfortable year round. Also, if you have always wished you couldn’t hear the traffic outside or one of those dogs that never seems to get tired of barking, replacing your windows is going to be one of the single best things you can do for your house.
Return On Investment:
Your new windows can make a big difference in how your home looks and feels. Not to mention that even in resale situations, you’ll recoup up to 78% of your money back on new windows, while increasing your home’s curb appeal. So you can feel good about your investment now, and 10 years from now when it’s time to sell.
Which Window Is Right For Me?
We sell and install Vinyl, Composite and Wood windows from the following manufacturers:
Window Type: Vinyl
Pros: Inexpensive, maintenance free, energy efficient, over 90% of people choose it.
Cons: Cannot be painted.
Collection: Reflections 5500®
Simonton Windows- Features: The high performance Simonton windows we sell and install are guaranteed to help make your home more comfortable while lowering your energy bills. With features such as:
- Multiple options for Low-E glass to let you find the perfect fit for your home and energy needs
- Durable materials that are virtually maintenance free
- SmartSun glass that filters out up to 95% of the UV rays from the sun, which can help prevent fading inside your home
- Patterns to ensure privacy without sacrificing light
Vinyl Windows- Benefits: Increased Comfort, Easy Operation, Weatherability, Energy Efficiency, Low Maintenance, Value. Click here to read more about the benefits of Simonton Vinyl Windows.
- ENERGY STAR: As an ENERGY STAR partner, Simonton Windows® is committed to meeting the strict criteria of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy to help conserve energy and reduce heating and cooling costs for all our customers. When you purchase Simonton vinyl windows and doors that meet ENERGY STAR® guidelines, you know you’ll have optimum energy efficiency and comfort.
- AAMA Gold Label Certification Program: With AAMA Gold Certification, you can be sure Simonton windows and doors meet the highest performance standards for air and water infiltration resistance, structural integrity and forced entry.
Simonton Warranty: Limited Lifetime Warranty (link)
Simonton Website: simonton.com
Window Type: Composite
Pros: Paintable, energy efficient
Cons: Needs to be painted every 10 years.
Composite Windows- Features:
- Air tight – exceptionally low air infiltration ratings
- High thermal performance to lower heating and cooling bills
- Stronger than vinyl or fiberglass
- Impact resistant
- Less expansion & contraction
- Impervious to moisture and rot
- Insect free
- Beautiful, durable finishes
- Better screw retention
- Virtually maintenance free
- Energy efficient, solid core insulating property
- Salt air proof
- Retains dimensional tolerances
Composite Windows- Benefits:
• Thermally superior composite material reduces energy-transfer better than wood, vinyl, fiberglass, and aluminum
• More energy-efficiency means greater savings on monthly heating & cooling costs.
• Available with highest-performance glass system for maximum savings
• Surpasses ENERGY STAR® energy performance criteria
• CompositWood windows have multiple weatherstrip paths with interlocking sash and jambs designed to reduce air infiltration
• More comfort – without air drafts you stay warmer in Winter, cooler in Summer
• Classic wood window design enhances the value and beauty of your home– inside and out
• Premium performance hardware ensures easy cleaning and operation
Warranties: Lifetime Warranty
Window Type: Wood
Pros: Unmatched style.
Cons: Requires more maintenance.
Warranties: 20 years on insulated glass, 10 years on components and hardware (link)
Product Performance: Casements have a .01 cfm/ft air infiltration rating at 25 mph and are rated DP 60, suitable for low rise commercial applications. Double hungs have .05 cfm/ft air infiltration rating at 25 mph and are rated DP 45, suitable for light commercial applications.
The U value for double hungs is .33 with Low E Ti-R™ and Krypton/Argon glazing. The U value for casements is .35 with Low E Ti-R™ and Krypton glazing. Thermal tests in determining U values were conducted under NFRC standards.
Who We Are:
Northern Virginia Roofing and Exteriors is a second generation, family owned and operated home improvement company founded in 1963. NVR has successful projects completed over 40,000, over 20 times national award winner: Installation Excellence, Training Excellence, Consumer Protection Excellence along, Master Elite Contractor. A+ at BBB. To learn more about Northern Virginia Roofing click here.
Most windows installed before the mid-90s are horribly inefficient, sending your energy bills skyrocketing. So if you have older, drafty, or unattractive windows in your home, give us a call today for a free estimate. We’ll show you how easy it is to get new windows in your home, so you can start saving money on your energy bills each month.
Request Your Free Quote!
What our customers say about us:
Robert & Mary W.