Roof Replacement Fairfax County, VA
Residents of Fairfax County, Virginia are no strangers to all kinds of weather. Moderate temperatures are often enjoyed year round, but these are often accompanied by wind, snow, and rain that can have a major impact on the health of your roof. Roof replacement isn’t something that anyone wants to consider, but when you think about how important your roof is to the rest of your home, you may want to ensure that you understand the signs and causes of roof replacement to help prevent further damage from occurring.
Causes of Roof Replacement
The weather in Fairfax County plays a big part in how long your roof will last and whether or not you’ll need to have it done. There are several factors that can contribute to the longevity of your roof, such as:
- Ice dams in the winter caused by melting and refreezing snow building up on the edge of the roof and forcing water up underneath the shingles
- High winds that can loosen or remove shingles from the roof
- Hailstones that can remove granules from the shingles, exposing the mat to wind and UV rays
- Excessive moisture, which could be caused by moss growth trapping water beneath it, or by lots of shade preventing the sun from drying the roof
- Excessive heat caused by direct sunlight in the summer and lack of attic ventilation transferring super heated air from below onto the roof
- Age of the roof causing the shingles to eventually begin to break down
- Cracked, broken, curling, or missing shingles allowing moisture to seep below and spread to the surrounding shingles
Signs of Roof Replacement
Obviously the major sign that you may need roof replacement is a sudden influx of water through the ceiling. You may find, however, that this may only occur after there have been other signs showing for some time. These signs may be similar to the signs that your roof needs repair, rather than replacement, but they are often more widespread and not confined to one or a few areas of the roof.
- Curling shingles
- Missing, cracked, or broken shingles
- Missing caulk or flashing
- Mold or mildew in the attic
- Water stains in the attic or on the ceiling
- Moss or algae growth over the roof
- Missing granules on the shingles
- Excessive amounts of granules in the gutters when you clean them
Finding a Reputable Roofing Contractor
There are a lot of companies out there that can tack a tarp on your roof or maybe replace the caulking around your flashing. Remember, though, that your roof is the most important part of your home. It protects and covers your entire residence, so make sure you do your due diligence when finding and hiring a roofing contractor.
- Be sure to get their full name and the full name of their company
- Find out if they are insured, licensed and bonded
- Make sure they will remove the old shingles and not just layer the new ones on top
- Get written estimates, and find out things about how they work, such as whether they will use a drip edge, ladder stabilizers to protect your gutters, and what they plan on doing to protect your roof if inclement weather should strike before they are done
Give Us a Call
Northern Virginia Roofing and Exteriors has been working in Fairfax County for more than 50 years. We’ve completed more than 40,000 successful projects right in your area, and we know the type of factors that can influence your need for a roof replacement. Give us a call today for a free home estimate to find out what we can do for your roof.
Request Your Free Quote!
Was it helpful to you?
We were very impressed with Dave Will who responded quickly to our roof leak and did a thorough repair job. You are fortunate to have him on your team.