Storm Chasers after Hail Storms in Alexandria Virginia
Residents of Alexandria, Virginia are no strangers to the higher than average wind speeds, rainy springs, and snowy winters that come with the region. Unfortunately with those weather patterns also comes a tendency for it to hail from time to time. And while hail stones may not seem like a big deal, they can do a lot of damage to your roof. Unfortunately, along with big storms that bring hail stones comes another type of problem as well; the out-of-state storm chasing contractor. Learn how to avoid this problem and get your roof taken care of properly.
What Is an Out of State Storm Chaser?
Most of the time, when something goes wrong at your home and you need someone to fix it, you ask friends of references, take a look at Angie’s List, or just look for local contractors on Google. After a major storm, however, you may be surprised to have a contractor simply show up on your doorstep. This is likely to be an out of state storm chaser; someone who follows big storms around the country so they can make money off of your misfortune.
And while you may think that having a contractor show up without you having to do any leg work is a good thing, consider these points against them:
- Out of state storm chasers have no local ties to your community. This includes a local address you can use to find them at if something goes wrong, a lack of state licenses and insurance, as well as a lack of local references you can check up on
- Storm chasers tend to be pushy. They want you to sign a contract as quickly as possible, guaranteeing them the work. Unfortunately, once you sign, they can now drag their feet in actually getting around to your work.
- They may offer you illegal suggestions, such as having you sign over the insurance money to them, or offering to do the job for less than what the insurance company is paying. This is fraud and could result in jail time for you if convicted.
- Storm chasers may have liens against them by material suppliers who they have left hanging when they moved on to a new storm and a new job. They could do the same to you, leaving you in the position of having to pay for materials twice just to get the lien removed.
- Storm chasers often don’t offer you more than “tail light” warranties, meaning that their warranties are only good as long as you can see their tail lights driving away. A local, reputable contractor is more likely to stand behind their work.
Avoiding Storm Chasers
Once you know what to look for, it’s easy to spot a storm chaser, and to confirm the identity of a Qualified Local Contractor instead. Just check and ask for these points as you interview contractors for the job:
- A local driver’s license and license plate to confirm that they have a local presence
- References from former satisfied customers that you can call and speak with about their past jobs
- References from manufacturers that can let you know that this contractor can offer you extended manufacturer’s warranties, and that they are qualified to put up this material, and to make sure they have no existing liens against them
- Copies of state licenses and insurance records
- A high rating at the Better Business Bureau
An out of state storm chaser will be unlikely to produce any of those things. So no matter how much pressure you receive from them to sign, don’t do it until you’ve had a chance to look things over.
Call for a Free Estimate
Northern Virginia Roofing has been working in the Alexandria area for more than 50 years. We have more than 40,000 successfully completed projects behind us, and we offer one of the best warranties in the business – 25+ years. We can help you determine if your roof has suffered hail damage, and help you deal with your insurance company.
Download a free copy of our book – The Ultimate Hail Damage Guide for Homeowners: Learn the Storm Damage Industry Secrets and Avoid Getting Ripped Off. The eBook is available on Amazon but we will give it to you for free. Click here to download it.
Give us a call today to help determine if your roof has been damage by hail storms and let us help you get it back in great shape.
Request Your Free Quote!
Was it helpful to you?