roofing
siding
gutters
windows
doors
STORM DAMAGE
SPECIALS

Carbon Monoxide Dangers in the Home

Smoke and Carbon Dioxide Alarm

Smoke and Carbon Dioxide Alarm

America’s Best Energy Team is not only concerned about the energy efficiency of your home; we endeavor to create comfortable, efficient, and safe homes.  One way we do this is by ensuring that your energy appliances and combustion appliance zones (CAZs) are operating safely.  Carbon monoxide poisoning sends thousands to the emergency room every year, and kills about 170 Americans annually[1].  During a home energy audit, we go the extra mile to check the carbon monoxide output of your appliances and CAZ, also testing the ventilation system in a worst case scenario, to give you peace of mind that your family will always be safe.

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas produced as a byproduct of burning fuels.  Many of these fuels are used to heat American homes, like natural gas, propane, coal, and wood.  Appliances like your water heater, central heating system, dryer, and even your stove are producing carbon monoxide as they operate.  Your ventilation system is designed to direct this deadly gas out of your home—but only if it is working correctly.  Most homeowners are unaware that their kitchen range likely vents into the kitchen, unless the blower is on, and older stoves burn fuel less efficiently, resulting in higher concentrations of carbon monoxide emissions.  Protecting your family is your first priority. And it is ours too.  Here are some ways you can better protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm. This is a last ditch safeguard and you should not use it as a substitute for other safety measures.

  • Have your home audited by America’s Best Energy Team (ABET). We will identify any shortcomings in the efficient fuel burning of your appliances and your ventilation system and provide you with specific steps to rectify the problems.

  • Keep your fuel-burning appliances professionally maintained.

  • Don’t cover the bottom of a natural gas or propane oven with tin foil. This blocks air flow.

  • Never leave a car or generator running in an unvented, enclosed space, like a garage.

  • Space heaters are major culprits of carbon monoxide poisoning, especially during sleep.  An electric space heater is fine, but an unvented natural gas space heater should never be used inside the home.

  • Properly maintain chimney flues.

  • Minor carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are commonly experienced while cooking. To avoid this, keep your oven range professionally maintained, turn on the overhead blower, and/or take breaks away from the kitchen.



Get 75% OFF on a Home Energy Audit!*

*Maryland Residents ONLY

 

[1] United States Consumer Produce Safety Commission

 

RESIDENTIAL
COMMERCIAL
Request a Quote
Name:
Email:
Phone:
City:
Get A Quote

You Are Almost Done!

Please solve anti-spam math problem:

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.
Back
RESOURCES
CUSTOMER REVIEW
5/5

We are very pleased with the craftsmanship of the work we had done on our home. Rob Livingston found the right solution to our challenges and the results are what we wanted. His team was professional, cleaned up the areas, and very responsive. We are happy to recommend Northern Virginia Roofing.

RESIDENTIAL
COMMERCIAL
Request a Quote
Name:
Email:
Phone:
City:
Get A Quote

You Are Almost Done!

Please solve anti-spam math problem:

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.
Back